ASE G1 Maintenance and Lt. Repair Quiz
1. Maintenance free batteries have a built in hydrometer that indicates the batteries state of charge. Technician A says to add distilled water to the battery if the charge indicator turns dark green or black. Technician B says a fully charged battery has a light green charge indicator. Who is correct?
2. Technician A says to check the circuits fuse if the actuator is not receiving power. Technician B says if a 15 amp fuse continues to blow, to replace it with a 20 amp fuse for added protection. Who is correct?
3. A front wheel drive vehicle makes a clacking noise that only occurs while cornering. The technician suspects a faulty front axle. Which of these is MOST likely the cause?
4. The tread of a tire is worn in the center and not on the outer shoulders. Technician A says this is caused by an improper wheel alignment angle. Technician B says this is caused by overinflating the tire. Who is correct?
5. A vehicle with power assist brakes has a hard brake pedal with little stopping power. Which of these is the MOST likely cause of this condition?
6. A technician is performing an A/C inspection. The fan is set on high but there is little air flow through the vents. Technician A says this could be caused by a clogged cabin air filter. Technician B says there could be an open in the blower motor’s power circuit. Who is correct?
7. Two technicians are discussing the evaporator's function in an automotive air conditioning system. All of these are true about the evaporator EXCEPT:
8. Technician A says a stuck open PCV valve will cause a lean fuel condition. Technician B says the PCV system removes blowby gases from the crankcase. Who is correct?
9. A technician removes and replaces a worn lower radiator hose on a four cylinder engine. The engine overheats after replacing the hose and adding coolant. Which of these is the MOST likely cause of this condition?
10. Engine mounts were recently replaced on a front wheel drive vehicle with independent suspension. The vehicle now has a steady pull to the left at all speeds. Technician A says this is caused by loose motor mounts. Technician B says this is caused by a misaligned engine cradle. Who is correct?
11. A vehicle's right front wheel has a growling noise that increases with vehicle speed. The MOST likely cause is:
12. A vehicle pulls to the left only while braking. Technician A says this could be a restricted left front brake line. Technician B says this could be a frozen right front caliper. Who is correct?
13. A vehicle's air conditioner blows cold air while driving at normal speeds, but warm while sitting at stop lights. The LEAST likely cause of this condition is:
14. A technician runs a scan and receives a fault code indicating a problem in the MAF sensor circuit. Technician A says this could be caused by a loose wire or an intermittent open. Technician B says this could be caused by a faulty MAF sensor. Who is correct?
15. A vehicle blows blue gray exhaust from its tailpipe only when first started in the morning. The MOST likely cause of this condition is:
16. The headlights get brighter as the engine is revved. Technician A says this is caused by a high capacity battery. Technician B says this is caused by a faulty voltage regulator. Who is correct?
17. A vehicle with a power rack and pinion steering system is binding only while turning corners. Which of these are LEAST likely to cause this condition.
18. A technician is bleeding air from a hydraulic power steering system. All of the following statements are true about this procedure EXCEPT.
19. A red colored fluid is seen leaking between the transmission and the engine. Technician A says this is caused by a leaking rear main seal. Technician B says this is caused by a leaking transmission pump seal. Who is correct?
Please select an answer