A1 Engine Repair Quiz
1. The reading on the micrometer indicates:
2. A technician is checking for piston ring groove clearance. The proper technique includes.
3. A cylinder power balance test is being performed on a vehicle with sequential fuel injection. The number five cylinder's rpm drop is less than all of the others. Technician A says this could be the result of a restriction in the fuel injector. Technician B says this could be caused by leaking secondary insulation. Who is correct?
4. A turbocharger wastegate is sticking. Technician A says a stuck open wastegate will result in overboost. Technician B says a stuck closed wastegate will result in an underboost condition. Who is correct?
5. Technician A says a supercharger uses an intercooler to keep the engine's oil cool. Technician B says intercoolers are used on turbochargers to keep the oil cool. Who is correct?
6. A wet compression test is being performed on a four cylinder engine. The number two cylinder's compression is below specifications and remains the same after injecting oil. This result indicates:
7. A vehicle has blue colored exhaust. Technician A says this may be caused by weak piston rings. Technician B says this may be caused by a leaking fuel injector. Who is correct?
8. Technician A says to remove the ridge on the engine block before removing the pistons. Technician B says a block's ridge will damage the new piston rings during installation. Who is correct?
9. A vehicle briefly blows blue/gray smoke from the tailpipe when it's first started in the morning. The MOST likely cause of this condition is:
10. During a cylinder leakage test air bubbles appear in the neck of the radiator. Technician A says a faulty intake valve will cause this condition. Technician B says a crack in the engine block will cause this condition. Who is correct?
11. After diagnosing and replacing the cooling system's water pump, the vehicle's engine continues to overheat. Which of these is the MOST likely cause.
12. Two technicians are discussing engine sealants and form in place gaskets. Technician A says sealants such as RTV are aerobic. Technician B says some sensors may be damaged if an unapproved sealant is used. Who is correct?
13. An engine has a noise that goes away as the engine warms and reaches operating temperature. Which of these is MOST likely the cause of this condition.
14. An engine suffers from detonation. Technician A this may be caused by a defective EGR valve. Technician B says advanced ignition timing can cause this condition. Who is correct?
15. Technician A says faulty turbocharger bearings will result in a loss of engine oil. Technician B says a dirty turbocharger air filter will result in a loss of engine oil. Who is correct?
16. A squeal is heard in the front of a supercharged V6 engine. This squeal gets louder as the engine is accelerated. Which of these is causing this condition?
17. A vehicle's engine is sluggish and slow to crank. Technician A says to check the starter and its circuit first. Technician B says to check the voltage, capacity, and condition of the battery. Who is correct?
18. A vehicle’s battery is good and passes all testing, but continues to die overnight. It’s being tested for parasitic battery drain. Technician A says to set the meter to measure voltage and connect the probes in series between the positive terminal and the battery post. Technician B says to set the meter to measure amperage and connect the probes in series between the negative battery terminal and the negative battery post. Who is correct?
19. Two technicians are discussing cylinder bore measurements. Technician A says the cylinder's bore should be measured for out of round. Technician B says the cylinder's bore should be measured and checked for taper. Who is correct?
20. Technician A says that connecting rods and caps are matched and can not be mixed. Technician B says it may be necessary to mark these parts for reassembly. Who is correct?
Please select an answer