A1 Engine Repair Quiz
1. The reading on the outside metric micrometer in the illustration above indicates:
2. When removing and replacing piston rings on a cast aluminum alloy piston, the technician should:
3. During a cylinder power balance test on a COP ignition system, the RPM drop of the #5 cylinder is less than the others. All of the following will cause this test result EXCEPT:
4. A turbocharged engine has poor high-end performance. Technician A says too much exhaust pressure bypassing the turbine wheel results in this condition. Technician B says a stuck closed wastegate results in underboost and poor high-end performance. Who is correct?
5. Which of the following is MOST likely causing an engine to have excessive crankshaft endplay?
6. A compression test indicates the number one cylinder's compression is below specifications. The compression increases after injecting oil into the cylinder. Which of the following is causing this test result?
7. A vehicle has blue-gray colored exhaust emitting from its tailpipe. All of the following results in this condition EXCEPT:
8. A ridge has formed on an engine block just above the piston ring's travel. Which of the following is used to remove this ridge?
9. A vehicle briefly blows blue-gray exhaust smoke from its tailpipe only in the morning or after it's been sitting for a while. Which of the following is causing this condition?
10. An engine's radiator hose collapses as the engine cools. Which of the following is MOST likely causing this condition?
11. After diagnosing and replacing the cooling system's water pump, the vehicle's engine continues to overheat. Which of these is the MOST likely cause.
12. Two technicians are discussing engine sealants and form in place gaskets. Technician A says sealants such as RTV are aerobic. Technician B says some sensors may be damaged if an unapproved sealant is used. Who is correct?
13. An engine has a noise that goes away as the engine warms and reaches operating temperature. Which of these is MOST likely the cause of this condition.
14. An engine suffers from detonation. Technician A this may be caused by a defective EGR valve. Technician B says advanced ignition timing can cause this condition. Who is correct?
15. Technician A says faulty turbocharger bearings will result in a loss of engine oil. Technician B says a dirty turbocharger air filter will result in a loss of engine oil. Who is correct?
16. A squeal is heard in the front of a supercharged V6 engine. This squeal gets louder as the engine is accelerated. Which of the following would cause this condition?
17. A vehicle's engine is sluggish and slow to crank. Technician A says to check the starter and its circuit first. Technician B says to check the voltage, capacity, and condition of the battery. Who is correct?
18. A vehicle’s battery is good and passes all testing, but continues to die overnight. It’s being tested for parasitic battery drain. Technician A says to set the meter to measure voltage and connect the probes in series between the positive terminal and the battery post. Technician B says to set the meter to measure amperage and connect the probes in series between the negative battery terminal and the negative battery post. Who is correct?
19. Two technicians are discussing cylinder bore measurements. Technician A says the cylinder's bore should be measured for out of round. Technician B says the cylinder's bore should be measured and checked for taper. Who is correct?
20. Technician A says that connecting rods and caps are matched and can not be mixed. Technician B says it may be necessary to mark these parts for reassembly. Who is correct?
Please select an answer