ASE A6 Electrical Electronics Practice Test
47. The number 2 and 3 cylinders of a four cylinder engine are producing less secondary voltage than the 1 and 4 cylinders. According to the diagram above which of the following is causing this condition?
- A. There is an open at point A of the ignition system.
- B. There is an open at point C of the ignition system.
- C. There is resistance at point C of the ignition system.
- D. There is resistance at point D of the ignition system.
Answer A is wrong. This ground is for both drivers.
Answer B is wrong. An open at point C results in no spark at the 2 and 3 cylinders.
Answer C is correct. Resistance at point C in the 2-3 coil’s power circuit will result in low output at the 2-3 coil only. This is because reduced primary voltage caused by electrical resistance results in low secondary voltage output. Perform a primary circuit voltage drop test to confirm.
Answer D is wrong. Resistance in the crankshaft position sensor’s circuit will result in a corrupt signal and a likely no-spark condition at both coils.