ASE A6 Electrical and Electronic Quiz
1. A full-fielded 70 amp alternator only produces 45 amps. The MOST likely cause of this is:
2. The cruise control of a vehicle is being diagnosed for intermittent operation. Which of the following components is LEAST likely to affect its operation?
3. The door locks in the vehicle in the circuit diagram above will unlock only, there is no lock action when the switch is depressed. The door lock relay has been replaced and there is still no door lock operation. Which of the following is MOST likely causing this condition?
4. The headlights get brighter as a vehicle is accelerated. Technician A says this is caused by a high capacity battery. Technician B says this is caused by high charging system voltage. Who is correct?
5. A technician replaces a blown fuse in a dome light circuit and the element in the fuse melts immediately. Technician A says if a dome light keeps blowing fuses to check for a short to ground. Technician B says resistance in this circuit has increased current flow. Who is correct?
6. A vehicle’s battery continues to discharge overnight. After replacing the battery, a battery drain test is performed. The reading on the multimeter above indicates the parasitic drain. Which of the following is correct?
7. A vehicle has a starting problem. Technician A says to use an ammeter to test starter current draw. Technician B says that worn brushes result in high resistance in the starter circuit. Who is correct?
8. The dome light in a vehicle flickers on and off with the switch in the ON position. The MOST likely cause of this problem is:
9. The passenger's window in the illustration above is inoperative. It is stuck in the up position. The driver's side window is good. Which of the following is MOST likely causing this condition?
11. There are codes indicating misfires at the number 1 and 4 cylinders of a four cylinder engine. According to the diagram above, which of the following is MOST likely causing this condition?
12. Technician A says loose mounting can result in an inoperative horn. Technician B says loose mounting can cause an inoperative windshield wiper motor. Who is correct?
13. The engine’s electric cooling fan in the illustration operates continuously when the ignition is switched ON, even when cold. Which of the following would result in this continuous fan motor operation?
15. All of the following are true statements about a fully charged lead acid battery EXCEPT.
16. A vehicle's battery is being tested for capacity. Technician A says during a battery capacity test the voltage should not drop below 9.6 volts at 70° F. Technician B says a battery's voltage reading should increase as temperature decreases. Who is correct?
17. There is an NTC negative temperature coefficient sensor in the heated seat circuit above. Technician A says the resistance of this sensor decreases as the temperature of the seat increases. Technician B says the two heating elements run in series with each other. Who is correct?
19. Technician A says that the charge indicator of a maintenance free battery is a hydrometer measuring the density of the electrolyte solution. Technician B says that as the battery is discharged the electrolyte solution’s specific gravity gets closer to 1.0. Who is correct?
20. The windshield wipers on a vehicle are slow and dragging across the windshield. Technician A says this could be an open circuit at the motors ground. Technician B says the wiper linkage may be binding. Who is correct?
Please select an answer