ASE A5 Brakes Quiz
1. A vehicle with a vacuum brake booster has a hard pedal with little stopping power. Technician A says a kink in the check valve's hose will result in this condition. Technician B says a vacuum booster needs at least 12 Hg of vacuum to operate properly. Who is correct?
2. A vehicle has a low spongy brake pedal. Which of these is LEAST likely to result in this condition?
3. Technician A says passive permanent magnet ABS wheel speed sensors produce an A/C voltage signal. Technician B says input from wheel speed sensors are used for anti-lock brake, electronic traction control, and electronic stability control systems. Who is correct?
4. The brakes of a four wheel disc brake system are self-applying and locking up after only a few miles of travel. Which of the following is the MOST likely cause of this condition?
5. A vehicle suffers from uneven pad wear. Technician A says to check for sticking slide pins. Technician B says this could be caused by a sticking caliper piston. Who is correct?
6. A front wheel drive vehicle with four wheel disc brakes is pulling to the left. Technician A says an external kink or internal restriction in the LF brake line will result in this condition. Technician B says to use a compression fitting to repair a section of brake line. Who is correct?
7. The brake pad wear indicator light is illuminated on the instrument panel. Technician A says this is because the brake pads have become contaminated. Technician B says this is the pad wear sensor contacting the brake rotor. Who is correct?
8. A vehicle's right front wheel has a growl that increases with vehicle speed. The MOST likely cause is:
9. The amber ABS fault light is illuminated on a vehicle's instrument panel. The vehicle contains a four channel permanent magnet sensor ABS brake system. All of these are true EXCEPT.
10. The front brake pads on a vehicle with a quick take up master cylinder need replacement. They were replaced just recently. Technician A says this is a low drag brake system. Technician B says this could be caused by a sticking quick take up valve. Who is correct?
11. During a test drive an excessive vibration is felt in the steering wheel only when the brakes are applied. The front brake rotors have just been replaced for this same problem. Which of the following is MOST likely to result in this vibration.
12. A vehicle has a hard brake pedal at all times. Which of the following would cause this condition?
13. A vehicle nosedives while braking. Which of the following is likely to cause this condition?
14. A vehicle has a growling sound that changes in pitch as the vehicle is lightly swerved from left to right. The noise is loudest during left hand turns. Which of the following is MOST likely to result in this condition?
16. Technician A says an outside micrometer is the preferred tool for measuring rotor lateral runout. Technician B says a dial indicator is the preferred tool used for measuring rotor thickness. Who is correct?
17. Which of the following input sensors are used as inputs for (TCS) traction control systems?
18. A technician is lubricating rubber brake components while performing a brake job. Technician A says to use a high temperature silicon based lubricant. Technician B says to use a good petroleum based lubricant. Who is correct?
19. A technician is testing a vehicle with a vacuum assist brake booster. After pumping the brake pedal several times and starting the engine, the pedal drops toward the floor about ¼ of an inch. Which of the following statements is correct?
20. The red brake warning light on the instrument panel illuminates only when the brakes are applied. Which of the following results in this condition.
Please select an answer